National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

League Structure 24/25??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: League Structure 24/25??
    Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 09:56
How about;

1. Premiership (10 teams), Premiership 2 (12 teams), National One N & S (14 teams each)

2. Premiership (10 teams), Premiership 2 (12 teams), Championship (14 teams), National One N & S (14 teams each)

Any thoughts??

Edited by WILD BOAR - 12 Oct 2023 at 10:03
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 10:51
I'm not sure 2 would work, Nat 1 now is pretty much semi pro, don't think there's enough sides across the Nat 2 leagues who could step up financially. Sadly it's not just about the rugby it's affording the travel now the RFU have abandoned the grass roots of rugby.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 11:03
Isn't 2 essentially what we had before the reorganisation, albeit with some names changed and a few teams short.

The phrase deckchairs and Titanic comes to mind.
I think the changes that need to be made are more fundamental.

Edited by Camquin - 12 Oct 2023 at 11:05
Sweeney Delenda Est
WILD BOAR View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 11:13
Tend to agree that 2 is not the way to go.

Option 1 would be easier to implement and would get rid of the 3 tier mess below.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 11:48
Is having three teams more of a mess than having two?
I know the team that s level transferred to SW, or possibly SE, comes from further North, but overall surely travel per club has gone down. Anyway, the main travel problem was not at level 4 and 5, it was at levels 7 & 8.
Sweeney Delenda Est
WILD BOAR View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 11:59
Under Nat 1 (N&S), you can then revert back to 4 tiers ( N,S,M & LSE) at Level 4.

Then 8 tiers, thus reducing travelling even further down the levels.

Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 13:29
There is no need to change level 3 it’s levels 1 & 2 where the problem lies but level 2 issues are not all of their own making the RFU has been compliant in a lot of the issues around structure. I wouldn’t be surprised to see further problems at the top end as the reliance on funding grows. Nat 1 is a great league with lots of good teams to split it would seriously deplete the competition more so in the north as depending on where you split there are currently  9 southern teams and 5 north so to get the the minimum teams required of 14 you would be pulling up so many teams and some of the gulfs would be huge. IMO Nat 2 needs to return to 2 divisions with 3 up and down. I also fail to see how you can raise money you require to run your club in a 10 team league 
So many Christians not enough Lions
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 13:37
But that was the structure that everyone was complaining about for the last 12 years and two review cycles. Especially the Lancastrian clubs, who hated having to travel to Cumbria.
That was why things got changed.

Now, I do not believe the change improved things, in fact it made them worse, especially when you add in the cups.

But, I do not see how you fix things by simply going back to something you know does not work.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Kentish Man View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentish Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 13:47
Hi I believe option 1 was want the collective National clubs agreed certainly regarding N1 N/S 

tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 14:56
The only problem is going on previous move arounds, those in the RFU offices cannot read a map.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 15:40
I think it was in the cup draw they managed to transpose the East and West labels, which got a lot of people confused - though I think the actual division of clubs was fairly reasonable.
Sweeney Delenda Est
BFG1 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFG1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 12:59
Believe option 3 is one wanted by RFU 

10 prem
10 prem 2
12 Nat 1 N/S and called championship N/S
NvS winner up into Prem 2
12 Nat 2 E/W/N

Don't like this option but clubs will have no say, sorry i mean they'll get all clubs opinions and RFU/Prem will just go with what's best for them!
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 14:48
11 home games does not generate enough income to run a club, 14 was the minimum that works depending on which division
So many Christians not enough Lions
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 15:35
Whatever the league format it does not solve any of the major issues affecting the game.  It won't solve the financial disparity between the Premiership Clubs and everyone else, it won't resolve clubs still spending more than they earn, it won't create a pathway for players because the Academy structure isn't part of any reviews, it won't solve the declining media coverage, it won't solve the lack of a sponsor and lack of TV coverage.

Someone used the apt phrase of rearranging the chairs on the titanic. Radical reform is needed not just adding and subtracting clubs and renaming the leagues every few years. 

Madness is doing the same thing time after time and expecting a different result. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 18:34
Originally posted by BFG1 BFG1 wrote:

Believe option 3 is one wanted by RFU 

10 prem
10 prem 2
12 Nat 1 N/S and called championship N/S
NvS winner up into Prem 2
12 Nat 2 E/W/N

Don't like this option but clubs will have no say, sorry i mean they'll get all clubs opinions and RFU/Prem will just go with what's best for them!

Might suit the top 2 levels, but 11 home games for non-professional rugby doesn't give clubs much chance of survival.

Sounds like change for changes sake that might see a large umber of clubs go to the wall over the next few years.

This could be the end of Rugby Union as we know it.
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 22:38
National League Clubs have already told the RFU that they must have 13 home League matches each season to be sustainable. That could be done through 11 League matches and 2 play-off matches.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 23:30
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

National League Clubs have already told the RFU that they must have 13 home League matches each season to be sustainable. That could be done through 11 League matches and 2 play-off matches.
If you make the playoffs...
(Unless of course all clubs are involved in promotion and relegation playoffs, which would be extremely contrived).
Our City,
Our Club
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 06:57
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Don't do that would be my advice for the National League Clubs. They tried something similar last year with the pizza cups in lower leagues but the problem was some clubs only got 1 match back from the 2 they lost and many pulled out because they didn't fancy travelling which loses revenue for the clubs.

They should insist on a 14 team league to continue.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 07:34
I still await the confirmation that three of Prem2 franchises are
Wuss, Wasps and Irish. Then being franchises what the remaining seven clubs will need to enter the fray.

I hate to say this, but for x years it will have to be a closed shop. Who is going to waste…whoops invest in a pro team next season, and watch the club get relegated to National 1, and reading comments a non professional league? 

The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 08:31
Have to agree with KempstonB. It might not feel right but a closed shop is the logical way to go.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic