National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Throw In's to the line out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throw In's to the line out
    Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 23:02
Sorry for being pedantic, and maybe I am wrong,  but I always thought to throw into a line out, the person throwing into the lineout had to stand BEHIND the touchline.  Not on it, certainly not in the field of play. Together with putting into a scrum nobody cares anymore.....pity in my opinion in the interests of fairness. Next chapter...off side at the  kick off. Comments please.
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 23:36
6-26-c

When the ball is thrown in, the assistant referee or touch judge lowers the flag, with the following exceptions:
    1. When the player throwing in puts any part of either foot in the field of play
Sweeney Delenda Est
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 23:55
Thanks Camquin,  I rest my case.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 07:59
The player throwing in the ball stands on the mark of touch with both feet outside the field of play. The thrower must not step into the field of play until the ball has been thrown. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 08:38
If you are standing on the line you are not in the field of play, hence you are 'in touch' if carrying the ball.
At a line-out, with regard to the player throwing the ball into the line, as long as all of the players foot is not over the line it will be seen as a legal throw in.
All Knwoing All Seeing
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 08:39
It doesn't really make a difference as it seems you don't have to throw straight anymore 
Full Bodied Red View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Bodied Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 10:37
In the World Cup it seems most hookers are not only almost on the pitch and throw the ball down their own line, but also take a half step towards it. But since it is clear that the scrum half has now no need to put the ball in straight but behind the hookers foot, I suppose it doesn’t matter.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 10:56
I don't care about this one.

Takes forwards long enough to get a line out started as it is without foot faults becoming a thing.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 13:09
If only we had an assistant referee close enough to police this!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 16:17
Biggest bugbears in Rugby

1) kickers stand on the mark to take a penalty then run 3-5 steps before actually kicking ball

2) kicking team players offside at kick-offs

3) hookers standing heel on lines to take throw-in, then either stepping forward or lifting heels - both illegal

4) scrumhalves not putting ball in straight
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 17:07
Can I add 

5. caterpillar rucks where the scrum-half comes in front of the last foot to move the ball back?

One three, it has gone well beyond that, they are now standing well inside the field of play.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 17:42
As an alternative to this can I thank Wayne Barnes for correctly reffing Andrew porter on the weekend.

Likewise Ben O'Keefe for trying to get France and SA to get on with the game. Without him that would have gone on forever.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 21:12
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

As an alternative to this can I thank Wayne Barnes for correctly reffing Andrew porter on the weekend.

Likewise Ben O'Keefe for trying to get France and SA to get on with the game. Without him that would have gone on forever.

I thought B O'K was the least impressive of the 4 refs (4.2 if you count Peyper's cameo) on show over QF w/e. He didn't lose control on Sunday night, but there were times when I thought he might. Amazed he's got SA for 2nd game running this w/e (with Angus Gardiner doing Arg/NZ). Amazed that Luke Pearce hasn't had a sniff across first 6 KO games, maybe he'll be involved in final, possibly as AR to Barnes? Also rate Amashukeli, but perhaps too soon for him...

Returning to the topic in hand, I know the law but really am not too fussed. Put-ins to scrums get my back up a lot more - totally ridiculous now. Did anyone see Raynal warn (but not penalise) the Fijian scrum-half on Sunday - it followed a put in that must have been 70 degrees off being straight... any wonkier and the ball would have gone through the loose-head prop's legs.

Edited by islander - 19 Oct 2023 at 07:16
RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 10:48
Addition to 5:
5 ... Extending the caterpillar after the referee has told the SH to play the ball
Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 22:17
Really interesting conversations. Basically we all just want to see more of the laws of the game policed with  a  little more effort  and consistency. Soon, players will be charging down conversion attempts!! Wink

Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 14:42
Originally posted by Guinness John Guinness John wrote:

Really interesting conversations. Basically we all just want to see more of the laws of the game policed with  a  little more effort  and consistency. Soon, players will be charging down conversion attempts!! Wink

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Apply ALL of the laws
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 15:47
I was very surprised they did not get the TMO to check the critical charge down.
But you would need a split screen from a camera on the kicker and one on the charger.
But the camera angles have been quite poor this world cup.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 16:28
TMO would have had the spider-cam view which clears the charge down. You can see both kicker and Kolbe on screen.

If on twitter go to Stuart Barnes who has retweeted it.

Kolbe is v fast and played with Ramos for 6 years so knew his run up.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 17:15
I am not sure run up is the right term, part of the problem is how slow Ramos was.
But it goes to my third point - the camera angles chosen by the TV director have been poor.

I assume he has been watching Farrell's preparation, though that assumes England might score a try.

Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic