National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Round 5 Matches and Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 16:35
Yes, but at National 2 you are only permitted four players, of which three can be loan players and the rest England Academy Players.

At National 1 you are permitted three loans plus up to six EAPs.
And in the Championship, three loans and nine EAPs.

In the National leagues, the EAPs must play for the recipient club before the transfer deadline. But that does not apply in the Championship.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Stuartnottingham View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuartnottingham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 12:17
Far too many players dropping in and out of clubs in the Championship . Personally I don't mind longer term loan players who need to play . Difficult to go straight into the Tigers first team. I do object to what happened to Richmond. I met their Director of Rugby a couple of times and he seemed a decent chap . Now he has of course lost his job following relegation. London Scottish beat Nottingham at the end of the season to stay up and it was basically a Harlequins team. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 13:15
This is the Scottish side that played Nottingham at the start of the season, and whether they played in the last match.

Charlie Ingall → bench
Noah Ferdinand → dropped
Brynmor Bradley → dropped
Robbie McCallum  → dropped
Joshua Gillespie → dropped
Jamie Benson → dropped
Luca Petrozzi → bench
Fin Baxter → dropped
Sam Riley → dropped
Joe Rees → starter
Matas Jurevicius → starter
Matthew Wilkinson → dropped
Brian Tuilagi → dropped
William Trenholm → starter
Cameron King → starter

Elliot Chilvers  → dropped
William Hobson → dropped
Angus Southon  → bench
Villiami Taulani → bench
Dan Nutton → starter
Zach Clow → dropped
Cassius Cleaves → starter

So 13 new players

Starters

Cameron Anderson
Luke Mehson
Lennox Anyanwu
Hayden Hyde
Nathan Chamberlain
Will Prior
Jack Musk
Bailey Ranson
Jack Ingall

Bench

Nathan Jibulu
Rhys Charalambous
Rhys Litterick
Connor Slevin

The thing I noticed was at least two of the dropped players, Benson and Hobson are Quins academy, both have played for Cambridge this season.

I assume Scottish were inside the regulations, or Richmond would surely have objected to unregistered players.
Sweeney Delenda Est
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 13:34
Attendance at Donny for the LS game was 2264, however a question on our forum as been asked if these were all paying fans, or were  freeby tickets in the total.

Edited by KnightsBoy - 27 Nov 2023 at 13:52
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 13:35
I think Rhys Litterick plays for Cardiff now.

Winning try on Friday night.

Aah. Last season. Ignore me....

Edited by Paul10 - 27 Nov 2023 at 13:53
BigChief View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigChief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 13:37
Originally posted by Stuartnottingham Stuartnottingham wrote:

Far too many players dropping in and out of clubs in the Championship . Personally I don't mind longer term loan players who need to play . Difficult to go straight into the Tigers first team. I do object to what happened to Richmond. I met their Director of Rugby a couple of times and he seemed a decent chap . Now he has of course lost his job following relegation. London Scottish beat Nottingham at the end of the season to stay up and it was basically a Harlequins team. 

and Richmond did not beat too many teams that season either.....
Had they done so they would have pulled clear but they didn't - that was their own doing and cant be laid at the door of any other team. 
For the ordinary purposes of conversation, a superficial knowledge of many things goes further than an intimacy with one or two.
Stuartnottingham View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuartnottingham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 15:44
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 16:27
I am with you on this Stuartnottingham. I remember thinking at the time that what unfolded at the end of last year's Champ season didn't sit right with me.
What ever happened to clubs developing from within, investing in mini, junior, girls and colt sections to keep the future of their club bright and sustainable?

I don't know what the setup at LS is, and how many of their Champ squad came through the ranks from junior to adult rugby. I suspect it is very few. For those that say it isn't possible at Level 2, I would say look at Caldy RFC, where rhe vast majority of their squad have played together for years, a good number of which started playing as youngsters and have taken that club to somewhere no one would have thought possible years ago.

Is all of this a bit idealistic and old fashioned on my part, probably, but the fact remains that the Champ remains this mix of traditional clubs trying to keep afloat alongside the more commercial squads ultimately being run as businesses. As I've said before, it is a bit like a middle ground between the fully pro Prem and semi-pro Nat 1 and whilst it remains this way, it will always have issues around clubs doing whatever is necessary to prevent relegation, as was the case with Scottish last season.

This is not the fault of Scottish or any other club in their position as they haven't done anthring wrong or underhand in terms of the rules in place. It is the rules themselves that could probably do with a rethink and the Champ clubs coming together to determine what sort of league they want to be a part of. Likewise, Nat 1 is increasingly mirroring the Champ, with several clubs relying on DR/loan players to fill their starting XVs.
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 16:59
Who remembers Leeds jetting in a significant number of New Zealanders to rescue them from the drop a couple of years ago? It was a short-lived success and Leeds were relegated the following season.
The Leeds 'club' are still stigmatised by many for that sharp practice.

gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 18:40
Originally posted by Greg Greg wrote:

Who remembers Leeds jetting in a significant number of New Zealanders to rescue them from the drop a couple of years ago? It was a short-lived success and Leeds were relegated the following season.
The Leeds 'club' are still stigmatised by many for that sharp practice.

Really ruined some lives if I remember correctly, getting folks across with the promise of long term contracts, then abandoning them.

Edited by gerg_861 - 27 Nov 2023 at 18:40
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 22:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic