National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Premiership II plans announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 25>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 16:21
Even Cricket has a two tier County Championship, with promotion and relegation.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 16:42
Or cricket only has 18 pro teams spread over 2 leagues.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 18:04
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

I think it's football that is the exception.

No other sport has promotions and relegations to the same extent.

Plenty of sports thrive without.

Rugby League, Cricket, Hockey to name 3.

Not sure about basketball, netball, ice hockey and other team sports but I would be surprised if they didn't.

A league without promotion and relegation has little interest for me - yes it works in USA but these are sports with huge followings and good TV deals.
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 18:05

I'm not with you.

Cricket has counties.
A finite number.
Rather like Irish rugby.

County based so you cannot have hundreds of teams
RAID ON
JohnLowe View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 19:27
Reference Cherub’s recent suggestion regarding a possible template for Championship sides going forward much of which I agree with, may I make two suggestions:

Promotion and Relegation item 3, add “..and any other minimum standards that may jointly and unanimously be agreed by the clubs”

Funding : perhaps we should give some thought to those clubs who already have the minimum standards in place (and can thus spend their proposed £500,000 on players or refunding those sponsors who may have helped them previously, the latter thought contentious perhaps) as against those who have to spend their funding achieving the said minimum standards

Edited by JohnLowe - 17 Jan 2024 at 19:32
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 19:32

I'm not with you.

Cricket has counties.
A finite number.
Rather like Irish rugby.

I've demonstrated that Football isn't the exception and leagues are in force for all the major team sports in the UK. 

You are now moving the goalposts.  Cricket at County level has leagues but the 'top league' is ring fenced to a finite number. Under neath these you have the Minor Counties* playing in leagues too, and at club level a whole raft of leagues.

Irish, Scottish and Welsh rugby have club leagues. 

Your initial point isn't valid. 

Where there is agreement is the access route to the top, and in this regard Football is probably unique in retaining that, albeit with ground criteria at certain junctions. 

*Yes I realise they are no longer called that. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 20:33
I'm going to disagree.
County cricket is pro and people pay to watch it.
The rest, not so.

Rugby league is 3 closed leagues of pro over several countries.

Ice Hockey Elite League is closed.

I just don't agree that football is the only good way to run a sport. Rugby needs it's own way forward.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 00:33
We have plenty of clubs that work well as semi-professional clubs.
One of the reasons we have seen a turnover of clubs in the championship, is the strength of National 1. The relegated side is not guaranteed to bounce back.

For a club to survive in the Championship cots at least £1m a year, to thrive a lot more. For a semi-pro club to raise that, without TV coverage or central marketing, is actually quite an achievement.

The idea that there are clubs out there that could raise that sort of money, but cannot succeed on the pitch, is simply laughable. Success needs money, and clubs with access to money usually earn success - unless they continually pay over the odds for journeymen players - and yes I am looking at you Rosslyn Park, the repeated under achievers.

And perhaps it has been too easy to buy a side without building up the club to pay for it, and in this case I am looking across London at Eltham and a side playing on a school pitch. The fact their sponsor also backed the England 7s side with promises he proved unable to keep is also problematic. 

It points out a major problem with sponsorship. No club wants to look the gift horse in the mouth.  We know sponsors are doing this for prestige, and not because it is the best use of their marketing budgets, so perhaps we do less due diligence than we might  - I seem to recall London Welsh having a sponsor who turned out not to be good for their money   

And this is made more of a problem because we currently have no clubs that can survive as fully professional without support from a generous owner. That includes the Premiership, where the losses are significantly more than a Championship side's budget.

If we want to move from where we are, to a situation where we have more financially secure clubs capable of employing more full time professional players, we will need to grow the base of the game. 

If we find a way to get more games onto TV, then there is potential, not just for the direct TV money, but it might also attract some more in person attendance, which both make it a better product able to attract more sponsorship. But at the moment, we do not offer a product.

We need to work hard to get the sport in front of people eyeballs, or in their ears. So we need to get TV and radio to mention not just the Premiership, but the clubs in at least the Championship and National Leagues.

The NCA has done good work putting together a weekly highlights package on its website, but that does not really enlarge the viewing base.

Some Local radio does sterling work covering the game, we have Radio Cornwall at Cambridge for the match last week, as well as having reports on Radio Cambridge. But many clubs do not even get that.

If the RFU wants a sponsorable second level - sport is never investable - it needs to put its effort into promotion campaigns. It needs to work with the clubs, not against them. It will take time, we cannot expect to turn the game around in a single season.

There is no magic money tree, and no silver bullet. There is only hard graft, and marginal improvements.
Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 01:03
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

There is no magic money tree, and no silver bullet. There is only hard graft, and marginal improvements.

Which is a reason why a Championship club would need at least 5 years after promotion at least to bring their infrastructure up to MSC standards.

However, with Premiership attendances almost static for the last 20 years (Wikipedia), it's hard to see how a newly promoted club could do that without a ground share or significant local authority investment. 

There's a always a CVC type deal where money is offered to develop the game and improve facilities....just like it was last time.

P. S. Whatever happened to Rugby Lions - another club chasing rainbows who went bust and were demoted 6 leagues.

P.P.S. Which Premiership clubs were given time to bring their facilities up to scratch - I thought Leicester was one. 

Edited by FHLH - 18 Jan 2024 at 02:17
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 01:07
Interesting that the Championship does not produce players… when Painter couldn’t get game time at Saints, he was destroying scrums for Blues, ends up at Exeter and then the wider 6 Nations squads. Without the shop window of performing at Blues he would probably still be a bit part player for Saints and not pushing for an England place.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 01:14
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Interesting that the Championship does not produce players…

Cambridge who developed Fraser Dingwall from M&Y together with giving game time to Ben Spencer, George Furbank and Alex Coles in National One which story is repeated across the spectrum. 

Edited by FHLH - 18 Jan 2024 at 01:16
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 08:03
Many of the kids around our club (Southwark) have no idea rugby exists. They have never watched a game of rugby and their parents would never of watched a game. However, they have most likely watch American football or basketball. The promotion and marketing or American sports is excellent in comparison to rugby which is stuck somewhere in the 90s. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 08:43
Rugby used to be able to rely on Grammar Schools to introduce boys to the game.
Clubs have replaced that with mini and youth programmes and a growing number of girls sections.
But the RFU has washed its hands of any duty to market the game.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 09:00

For a club to survive in the Championship cots at least £1m a year, to thrive a lot more. For a semi-pro club to raise that, without TV coverage or central marketing, is actually quite an achievement.

A very good post Camquin and I agree with what you say except for the £1m p.a. I know that Caldy have survived so far in the Championship on a tiny fraction of that amount

Caldy's crowds in the Championship average around 1,500+ per game and the club gets little coverage in the Merseyside media despite their success. There is no interest whatsoever from the Liverpool Echo in Rugby Union. The local supporters  probably come because of the perennial David v Goliath match ups. 

Edited by Big Eddie - 18 Jan 2024 at 09:03
''The future isn't what it used to be''
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 09:15
Which is why urban areas are rugby wastelands. Few clubs. No schools with pitches and no attempt to market the game. All the talk of diversification and introducing the game to a new audience is more RFU babble.

QUOTE=Camquin]
Rugby used to be able to rely on Grammar Schools to introduce boys to the game.
Clubs have replaced that with mini and youth programmes and a growing number of girls sections.
But the RFU has washed its hands of any duty to market the game.
[/QUOTE]
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 09:27
[QUOTE=rugbychris]
Which is why urban areas are rugby wastelands. Few clubs. No schools with pitches and no attempt to market the game. All the talk of diversification and introducing the game to a new audience is more RFU 

France do this much better than the rest.

There's no school rugby so it's just clubs and the FFR growing the game.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 09:39
Big Eddie, the last accounts for Caldy that i can see are from before you were promoted, when you were turning over £600k 

I am sure that has increased with the larger crowds in the Championship, and the generous funding from the RFU.

I would be surprised if it is much under £1m now.

I was talking the total cost of running the club, not the wage bill.
Sweeney Delenda Est
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 10:22
Caldy Rugby Club is just a section of Caldy Sports club limited who manage the bar and ground for three sections Rugby , Hockey and Cricket and the income from the bar goes to C.S.C.L not the rugby club. It has one full time member of staff. All the bar staff are part time and the grounds , all 16 acres are managed by volunteers cutting and marking 3 full size pitches, 12 Mini and Junior pitches, maintaining the car parks and banks. Despite this the Rugby Section has been able to rise through the leagues together with a 2nd XV who are unbeaten since April 2019. We registered over 500 mini and junior players this year including 50 girls, a section which is growing year on Year. 
I would be nice to see someone from the RFU to come and see a club in the north and find out what a semi pro side can achieve. Instead of sending an Auditor whose job it seems is to find as much faults as he can to fine the club rather than encouraging and helping to resolve issues. 

Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 11:11
Sounds like a tremendous set up.

Well done all, involved.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 11:43

We have plenty of clubs that work well as semi-professional clubs.
One of the reasons we have seen a turnover of clubs in the championship, is the strength of National 1. The relegated side is not guaranteed to bounce back.

The idea that there are clubs out there that could raise that sort of money, but cannot succeed on the pitch, is simply laughable. Success needs money, and clubs with access to money usually earn success - unless they continually pay over the odds for journeymen players - and yes I am looking at you Rosslyn Park, the repeated under achievers.

And perhaps it has been too easy to buy a side without building up the club to pay for it, and in this case I am looking across London at Eltham and a side playing on a school pitch. The fact their sponsor also backed the England 7s side with promises he proved unable to keep is also problematic. 

It points out a major problem with sponsorship. No club wants to look the gift horse in the mouth.  We know sponsors are doing this for prestige, and not because it is the best use of their marketing budgets, so perhaps we do less due diligence than we might  - I seem to recall London Welsh having a sponsor who turned out not to be good for their money   

And this is made more of a problem because we currently have no clubs that can survive as fully professional without support from a generous owner. That includes the Premiership, where the losses are significantly more than a Championship side's budget.

If we want to move from where we are, to a situation where we have more financially secure clubs capable of employing more full time professional players, we will need to grow the base of the game. 

If we find a way to get more games onto TV, then there is potential, not just for the direct TV money, but it might also attract some more in person attendance, which both make it a better product able to attract more sponsorship. But at the moment, we do not offer a product.

We need to work hard to get the sport in front of people eyeballs, or in their ears. So we need to get TV and radio to mention not just the Premiership, but the clubs in at least the Championship and National Leagues.

The NCA has done good work putting together a weekly highlights package on its website, but that does not really enlarge the viewing base.

Some Local radio does sterling work covering the game, we have Radio Cornwall at Cambridge for the match last week, as well as having reports on Radio Cambridge. But many clubs do not even get that.

If the RFU wants a sponsorable second level - sport is never investable - it needs to put its effort into promotion campaigns. It needs to work with the clubs, not against them. It will take time, we cannot expect to turn the game around in a single season.

Absolutely no apologies for quoting Camquin's post in full in order to say absolutely brilliant post detailing the current problems and the way forward.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 25>
  Share Topic