National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Premiership II plans announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 25>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 22:11
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

I understand that there is a meeting this Thursday betwen the Champ clubs and the RFU. Apparently the Champ clubs have requested that Steve Diamond not attend as he is now NewCastle coach. Probably a fair ask, given that they should by all rights be relegated.

Well said.
*Stalwart
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 00:24
I know we have only just got back on track, but
Could someone tell me what Steve Diamond has achieved as a coach to be held in high regard?
Did I somehow miss Sale winning in Europe?
Sweeney Delenda Est
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 09:40
We never got off track. The plans have been posted and rejected by the Championship Clubs. A club below in the National One have met with Sweeney and in principle agreed the terms laid out.
My concern is the real motives of clubs who are willing to accept the terms.
I honestly believe RAMS Limited on the whole have their club at heart. 
They have internal loans that must add up to hundreds of thousands, club extensions pitch and floodlights. 
There have been plans submitted for huge housing estates, and suggested moves to a new site . Promises of a new clubhouse. 

I admire their ambition but it is obvious that it is driven by one individual and his family member directors. His presents online in social media is exceptional .

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 10:27
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Could someone tell me what Steve Diamond has achieved as a coach to be held in high regard?

He's a great coach of lower end prem teams on a budget - and presumably would be the same for top end championship sides on a budget too. I've always seen him as a bit like Justin Burnell, only with a bit more luck. I think he's held in high regard - and it pains me to say it as a Moseley fan because he was starting to do a good job at Worcester - because he makes indifferent teams add up to more than the sum of their parts.

As old-school coaches go, I can see why the upper reaches of the sport seem to like him. He knows what he's doing and he gets better results than his club owners should expect. Which is probably why Newcastle came in for him.

Anyway, I agree that there's now a complete conflict of interest. But if I was the RFU looking for 'top level respected rugby man in English rugby to try and build some bridges' I can see why they'd have gone for him before Newcastle came along. Rugby's Sam Allardyce?
keep the faith
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 10:46
Steve Diamond is an intelligent, hard nosed and tough as teak individual and coach but I believe him to be a straight shooter. Having said that it is sensible to exclude him from the conversations for the benefit of all parties. Any conflict of interest is difficult to negotiate fairly ....even by straight shooters
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 10:56
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

We never got off track. The plans have been posted and rejected by the Championship Clubs. A club below in the National One have met with Sweeney and in principle agreed the terms laid out.
My concern is the real motives of clubs who are willing to accept the terms.
I honestly believe RAMS Limited on the whole have their club at heart. 
They have internal loans that must add up to hundreds of thousands, club extensions pitch and floodlights. 
There have been plans submitted for huge housing estates, and suggested moves to a new site . Promises of a new clubhouse. 

I admire their ambition but it is obvious that it is driven by one individual and his family member directors. His presents online in social media is exceptional .

You’ve missed out the new 400 seat stand 😉
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 11:27
I wouldn't be concerned about the Rams leadership, as a Nat 1 fan who follows several clubs, I've heard and read that Reynolds seems to have his head screwed on tightly and a genuine interest in developing his club to go as far as they can, which is fair enough when there is all this talk of a 'progressive tier 2' etc etc. 

Is he a businessman, absolutely, will he be looking to turn a profit if Rams go fully pro, absolutely, but the question is, who wouldn't be in his position and with his ambition? Many have done so before, some more successful than others, granted. It looks like Rams have been building towards this for at least the last decade, as the online extracts below that i came across show from 2013:

Redingensians Rams Gary Reynolds as first ever CEO

Reynolds: 'You have to have goals and ambitions otherwise you don’t bring out the best in people'.

Redingensians Rams have appointed former playing committee chairman Gary Reynolds as the club’s first ever chief executive officer (CEO) in a bid to drive the club forward over the coming years.

It follows the club’s recent AGM when, on top of Reynolds’ appointment, the membership pushed through proposals to create a six-man executive committee that has powers to borrow and build the proposed new clubhouse.

The Executive will be supported by the senior, mini and junior committees in implementing a five-year plan aimed at taking Rams into National Division 1, running six teams each week and increasing the number of young players at the club to more than 400.

Reynolds said: “You have to have goals and ambitions otherwise you don’t bring out the best in people.

“If we get too content with where we are, we will find the grass growing over our knees.

“Reading and Berkshire are stuffed full of young talented players.

“Just look at what (Redingensians director of rugby) Mike Tewksbury achieved with the Berkshire Under-20s. In under three years he developed a side abundant with home-grown talent, took on the rest of the country at Twickenham, and won.

“If I have any real concerns it is that we have not set the bar high enough.”

Re-elected chairman Andy Lynch added: “Creating a central executive with powers to handle Rams’ rugby and commercial affairs was essential to help us go forward.”

What is also worth remembering is that by all accounts this isn't just one club from Nat 1 in talks with the RFU, other leadership groups from Moseley, Albion, DMP and Chinnor have purportedly been considering what the RFU have put forward, it just looks like Rams are the first to go public with their intentions.
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 11:33
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Steve Diamond is an intelligent, hard nosed and tough as teak individual and coach but I believe him to be a straight shooter. Having said that it is sensible to exclude him from the conversations for the benefit of all parties. Any conflict of interest is difficult to negotiate fairly ....even by straight shooters

Completely agree, Diamond has been in and around rugby since well before the dawn of professionalism, and says it how it is. I think you're right about the conflict of interest though. For those that haven't heard it already, the Champ podcast from a few weeks back makes insightful listening, particularly from Simon Cohen:

If anyone would be the ideal broker or lead advisor on getting Prem 2 right for all those involved, it could be him.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 11:40

I have no particular love of Steve Diamond but in answer to your question Camquin aside from his so-called straight talking which I know divides opinion I guess his greatest achievement in his time at Sale was in making them competitive with rather less resources than most other Premiership clubs which is I suppose what attracted Worcester and now Newcastle to hire him.

PS: Sorry just noticed billesleyexile earlier posted much the same thing!

Edited by WEvans - 07 Feb 2024 at 11:43
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 11:43
Originally posted by Nat1 Nat1 wrote:

I wouldn't be concerned about the Rams leadership, as a Nat 1 fan who follows several clubs, I've heard and read that Reynolds seems to have his head screwed on tightly and a genuine interest in developing his club to go as far as they can, which is fair enough when there is all this talk of a 'progressive tier 2' etc etc. 

Is he a businessman, absolutely, will he be looking to turn a profit if Rams go fully pro, absolutely, but the question is, who wouldn't be in his position and with his ambition? Many have done so before, some more successful than others, granted. It looks like Rams have been building towards this for at least the last decade, as the online extracts below that i came across show from 2013:

<span style="font-size:25px" ;="">Redingensians Rams Gary Reynolds as first ever CEO</span>

<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">Reynolds: 'You have to have goals and ambitions otherwise you don’t bring out the best in people'.</span>

<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">Redingensians Rams have appointed former playing committee chairman Gary Reynolds as the club’s first ever chief executive officer (CEO) in a bid to drive the club forward over the coming years.</span>

<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">It follows the club’s recent AGM when, on top of Reynolds’ appointment, the membership pushed through proposals to create a six-man executive committee that has powers to borrow and build the proposed new clubhouse.</span>

<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">The Executive will be supported by the senior, mini and junior committees in implementing a five-year plan aimed at taking Rams into National Division 1, running six teams each week and increasing the number of young players at the club to more than 400.</span>

<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">Reynolds said: “You have to have goals and ambitions otherwise you don’t bring out the best in people.</span>

<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">“If we get too content with where we are, we will find the grass growing over our knees.</span>

<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">“Reading and Berkshire are stuffed full of young talented players.</span>

<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">“Just look at what (Redingensians director of rugby) Mike Tewksbury achieved with the Berkshire Under-20s. In under three years he developed a side abundant with home-grown talent, took on the rest of the country at Twickenham, and won.</span>

<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">“If I have any real concerns it is that we have not set the bar high enough.”</span>

<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">Re-elected chairman Andy Lynch added: “Creating a central executive with powers to handle Rams’ rugby and commercial affairs was essential to help us go forward.”</span><!--//user/0/com.samsung.android.app.notes/s/clip/clip_text_240207_111356_127.sdocx-->
<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">
</span>
<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">
</span>
<span style="font-size:17px" ;="">What is also worth remembering is that by all accounts this isn't just one club from Nat 1 in talks with the RFU, other leadership groups from Moseley, Albion, DMP and Chinnor have purportedly been considering what the RFU have put forward, it just looks like Rams are the first to go public with their intentions.</span>

👏👏👏👏👏👏
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 12:14
Just realised that the 4 year window to achieve Premiership 2 ground standards would give Wasps / Worcester / Irish / Jersey / Nat 1 clubs time to develop their own grounds. 

I still don't understand just what Sweeney is hoping to achieve with P2 - but then I'm just a rugby supporter. 

Edited by FHLH - 07 Feb 2024 at 12:15
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Bedford Bear View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedford Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 12:26

He coached England Saxons for two seasons to Churchill Cup victories

kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 13:15
Seems Channel 4 have lost rights (interest?) on Super League. BBC to show 15 games a season. Assume that means no longer on Channel 4.

Should Championship Clubs offer a weekly match to Channel 4?
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 13:22
Or course they should have the rights to offer coverage to whoever they like.
I thought that part of the problem was the Premiership retained those rights.
And had no interest in selling them.

Also, there is no guarantee that any TV station would pay enough for them to cover the cost of the clubs providing the facilities - and they might want games at times that suited the clubs less, causing loss of gate and f&b revenue.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 13:24
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Seems Channel 4 have lost rights (interest?) on Super League. BBC to show 15 games a season. Assume that means no longer on Channel 4.

Should Championship Clubs offer a weekly match to Channel 4?

Can you start a new thread or post in the one I started five mins ago, as I think we are starting to go away from the point. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 13:25
A message to everyone. 

I am not singling or blaming any one but just a general request to try and avoid comments which may be be perceived to be inflammatory or factually untrue. We don't know who reads the posts and how they take them and the last thing I want is anyone to get into trouble over this. 

Thank you for your understanding. 

Richard 

Remember Wakefield RFC
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 13:32
Further to the posts about Rams ground/move etc. 
I understand that is is owned by The Old Redingensians Association which is a charity. 

Rams RFC are their tenants. If ORA ever decided to sell the ground for development (which has been in discussions) they have to replicate what Rams already have i.e. 3 x pitches, floodlights on 3 x pitches, stand and clubhouse. 

Rams have no say in whether the land will be sold but they have to agree to any new site. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 11:30
I understand the Championship clubs had a meeting with the RFU yesterday, anyone heard how it went, nothing on the news about Sweeny capitulating, which is a shame lol.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 11:50
And I’m quite sure Old Readingensian’s have interests in other sports as well (hockey, cricket etc) so rugby may not be their primary concern just a good way to invest cash
So many Christians not enough Lions
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 13:01
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

And I’m quite sure Old Readingensian’s have interests in other sports as well (hockey, cricket etc) so rugby may not be their primary concern just a good way to invest cash

A good way to get rid of cash, not sure it is what I would call an investment
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 25>
  Share Topic