National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Premiership II plans announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 27>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 14:49
Land is always an investment Raider, even with covenants
So many Christians not enough Lions
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 19:24
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

And I’m quite sure Old Readingensian’s have interests in other sports as well (hockey, cricket etc) so rugby may not be their primary concern just a good way to invest cash

Many years ago, Reading hockey club used to have 2 x hockey pitches, but those went when we put our 3rd pitch up … we also had a very good cricket side and at one point ran 4 teams but that dwindled and we closed it down at OBR (Old Bath Road) and merged it with another club in Reading …. so all we have now is rugby ….
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 21:48
I seem to recall Reading used to supply most of the England hockey team.
They seem to be across the road on astro pitches, sharing a club house with Reading Cricket.
Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 22:00
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I seem to recall Reading used to supply most of the England hockey team.
They seem to be across the road on astro pitches, sharing a club house with Reading Cricket.

Spot on …. I remember watching the hockey in the late 60’s/early 70’s thinking what a violent game it was compared to rugby!
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 15:38
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

I understand the Championship clubs had a meeting with the RFU yesterday, anyone heard how it went, nothing on the news about Sweeny capitulating, which is a shame lol.

RFU/Champ meeting was tense but civil, I heard. Jaw jaw not war war. So far. I believe they are going to sit down again soon and address the governance of the new league and then other thorny issues such as the minimum operating standards, funding and others will sort of follow on from that. Or, looked at another way, if you haven't got the governance sorted, nothing else can be done.   
Broken down. Beyond repair.
Oldman1 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 15:53
Breakdown, do you know if the  number of clubs in the league(s) was discussed?

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 16:07
Originally posted by Oldman1 Oldman1 wrote:

Yes, it was
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 16:27
Do we know what options were favoured, 12, 14, 16?
Sweeney Delenda Est
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 18:34
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Do we know what options were favoured, 12, 14, 16?

I think the Championship clubs are relaxed about it - depends on whether there is a cup competition because at the end of the day, the number of games makes a difference to whether clubs, especially those who have players on fixed contracts, bring in enough revenue or not.

I think the RFU want 14 clubs in the league. Personally, I think 16 is the magic number, like Nat 1, and forget fake cup competitions. If something real arises, all well and good, but nothing that has been invented to fill a gap in competition schedules seems worth doing. 
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 18:36
Nat 1 is 14 clubs.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 19:09
Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

Nat 1 is 14 clubs.

Sorry, of course. It was 16 last time we were in it. 

No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 19:54
Originally posted by Clive Norling Clive Norling wrote:

Originally posted by Oldman1 Oldman1 wrote:

Yes, it was

It all seems very secretive. Will the meetings discussions and proposals be published / reported anywhere. Who attends from each club and what positions do they hold within their respective clubs.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 20:46
Who, on this forum, really knows what was said and discussed at last Thursday's meeting? 
Unless somebody was actually there, it's all conjecture.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 20:57
True
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 22:10
Originally posted by Greg Greg wrote:

Who, on this forum, really knows what was said and discussed at last Thursday's meeting? 

I’ve spoken to someone who was there …. I can assure the number of the clubs in The Championship was discussed ….
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 22:26
I'm glad it is jaw rather than war, rarely is there a clear winner after a war, there's always a mess to tidy up.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 23:23

I’ve spoken to someone who was there …. I can assure the number of the clubs in The Championship was discussed ….

Were Rams represented and were other National  One clubs present. 

Edited by No 7 - 12 Feb 2024 at 23:25
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 07:54
I was told on Saturday that the current chat was 3 up from N1 and no relegation from N1
So many Christians not enough Lions
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 08:58
A 14 team league, plus the Premiership Cup, would fill a season - especially if it runs into May.

It would also give four pools of six in the cup - which we assume would be in the Autumn International window and during the six nations.

So 31 games, plus potentiallly two knock out games.

While the Premiership would have 25 games plus whatever European games, this year it was four.
Sweeney Delenda Est
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 09:14
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Were Rams represented and were other National  One clubs present. 

It was a meeting of Championship clubs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 27>
  Share Topic