National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Premiership II plans announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 13:04
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I could see the Welsh sides joining the Premiership, ideally with Black Lion and Tel Aviv Heat joining the URC, but I suspect it would be two more South African sides.

That would give three leagues of 14 - though that does mean playing through the international windows.

Tel Aviv away? No thanks.
The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 13:46
Is it worse than Durban?
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 16:12
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Nick Cain, in today's Rugby Paper, writes upon the possible RFU plans. "This involves the creation of either a European or British & Irish Super League, which would probably be the deathknell of the European Cup. The structure is for the top six of the 10 Premiership clubs, along with the same number from the URC and Top 14, playing in the Super League.

The remaining four Premiership clubs drop into “Premiership 2”, which, combined with the Phoenix clubs and three more new franchise teams, creates a 10-strong second tier."

The Cain article is powerful - he's really getting his teeth into this and I hope other media follow suit.

Some other extracts which I thought worth highlighting:

"No substantive details of how the 3 Prem clubs would be resurrected; and the remaining places in the league are also in limbo with clubs refusing to comply with a flawed format drawn up by a governing body they no longer trust and on which they were not consulted.

"Like most of what happens with this RFU administration, the thinking is not joined-up and it flies in the face of the over-riding hostility in English football to its own super league smash-and-grab.

"Probably the only part guaranteed in rugby union and football is that they will be franchise closed shops with no promotion/relegation so that greedy elite clubs can corner the commercial/broadcast market.

"The only thing that is spectacular about the RFU administration at the moment is its utter failure to bring the English game together.

"There is no clarity in the RFU's vision for the future and no trust in it, with Sweeney appearing to favour a mix of autocratic directives and virtue-signalling spin rather than genuine consultation aimed at building a consensus-based plan."

Articles like this won't solve the issue straight away, but at least the RFU is being called out in a national paper - that should help.

Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 20:49

Is it worse than Durban?

It is now that Apartheid has ended in Durban but not Tel Aviv
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 10:03
Originally posted by Geoff DC Geoff DC wrote:

Is it worse than Durban?

It is now that Apartheid has ended in Durban but not Tel Aviv

Lets keep away from politics please. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 16:05
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Nick Cain, in today's Rugby Paper, writes upon the possible RFU plans. "This involves the creation of either a European or British & Irish Super League, which would probably be the deathknell of the European Cup. The structure is for the top six of the 10 Premiership clubs, along with the same number from the URC and Top 14, playing in the Super League.

The remaining four Premiership clubs drop into “Premiership 2”, which, combined with the Phoenix clubs and three more new franchise teams, creates a 10-strong second tier."

The Cain article is powerful - he's really getting his teeth into this and I hope other media follow suit.

Some other extracts which I thought worth highlighting:

"No substantive details of how the 3 Prem clubs would be resurrected; and the remaining places in the league are also in limbo with clubs refusing to comply with a flawed format drawn up by a governing body they no longer trust and on which they were not consulted.

"Like most of what happens with this RFU administration, the thinking is not joined-up and it flies in the face of the over-riding hostility in English football to its own super league smash-and-grab.

"Probably the only part guaranteed in rugby union and football is that they will be franchise closed shops with no promotion/relegation so that greedy elite clubs can corner the commercial/broadcast market.

"The only thing that is spectacular about the RFU administration at the moment is its utter failure to bring the English game together.

"There is no clarity in the RFU's vision for the future and no trust in it, with Sweeney appearing to favour a mix of autocratic directives and virtue-signalling spin rather than genuine consultation aimed at building a consensus-based plan."

Articles like this won't solve the issue straight away, but at least the RFU is being called out in a national paper - that should help.

A combination of the internet, and CoVid (the excuse that was needed) local media in some places is shocking. Ampthill and Bedford are served by the same local, printed paper. The sports editor now after lockdown is/was in Derbyshire covering 10 local papers. I doubt they have visited the clubs. The sports pages which were once 6 pages a week, are now 2. One is basically a national story shared by the papers. So the single page of local sport covers two Championship Rugby Clubs, has a 5th tier club Bedford Ath, two 8th tier football clubs, and a 9th tier club owned by a Bitcoin Billi9naire, and mentions of Men’s and Womens Hockey if they are lucky.

Local radio is pop prattle from London and drive from Milton Keynes. BBC is three counties, and during Saturday Sports, it’s five football clubs, acknowledgement of Ampthill v Bedford  derby. the post match phone in/moan in is football and despite giving non league scores, have even missed giving scores our.

If local media cannot give a hoot. Who cares about our Championship nationally? Radio Five Live Rugby Weekly, do they know our league exists? The BBC East Saturday news is notorious for not giving scores out for Ampthill, Bedford and now Cambridge. Again despite head to head games.

kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 16:20
Nostalgia time. Anyone remember Grandstand, Final Score when it was not trying to compete with Sky Soccer Saturday! That it included, Horse Racing results, Rugby League, and some Rugby Union?

We need national media voices talking about Sweeney and the Championship.
In too many cases, we have no local voices.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 17:04
I always thought it was a mistake not getting the BBC to read classified Rugby results.
Everyone followed the Soccer results - if only to see if they had won on the pools.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 17:38
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Nostalgia time. Anyone remember Grandstand, Final Score when it was not trying to compete with Sky Soccer Saturday! That it included, Horse Racing results, Rugby League, and some Rugby Union?

I completely concur. Caldy is a Merseyside club and our local paper is the Liverpool Echo. Caldy's 30 year journey from level 8 up to the Championship is both remarkable and inspiring. However, not according to the Liverpool Echo which will not print a single word about Caldy's achievements nor give any coverage whatsoever.

This isn't because the quality of the writing isn't up to it.......The Rugby Paper is happy to publish reports and articles without changing a word......it is just that they are not interested in rugby.

In early September 2022 all sport other than rugby was postponed because of the death of the Queen. A group of Danish soccer fans had traveled to Liverpool for the Reds game via Wolves......caught out by the sudden postponement they came to Paton Field to watch Caldy v Hartpury. 

They knew nothing about rugby but had an unbelievable time which included having a drink with their all time Anfield hero (and Caldy supporter) Robbie Fowler ...they then set up a Caldy supporters club in Copenhagen and came across to a subsequent Caldy fixture.

I ran the story past a former senior Liverpool Echo executive.......he loved it and said it was a story the Echo should run.......I sent the article with great pictures to a number of contacts within the Echo......not even an acknowledgement. Shocking!
''The future isn't what it used to be''
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 17:58
In Cornwall we’re grateful for Radio Dreckly. Live commentary on virtually every Pirates game home and away, plus live updates from Redruth and Camborne matches in Nat 2 West.
Megrim View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 21:26
With impending cuts to local radio ,I'm not sure how much longer they'll be able to provide their excellent coverage.

Colin Richards
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 22:37
So far, Jacko has kept his job at Radio Cambridge.

Radio Cambridge crossed to him for a report just before the end of the Scottish match, and he gave a running commentary on the last seven minutes. It is available as a podcast from the Cambridge club site.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 09:13
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 10:03

I always thought it was a mistake not getting the BBC to read classified Rugby results.
Everyone followed the Soccer results - if only to see if they had won on the pools.

Hmm, in the age of Crowdfunding, I wonder how much it would cost to set up a not-for-profit "pools" company for rugby, say Championship, Nat 1, Nat 2 as in the old Football pools, all proceeds after costs to be distributed to the "non-elite" game i.e. us poor mugs who buy the Twickenham tickets?

Would have the side benefit of making people follow the results, take an interest in clubs they knew nothing about at levels they have ignored. Would be much easier for amateurs to administer given digital tech and would have much more instant gratification for punters than the fantasy games available.

Broken down. Beyond repair.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 11:09
That is a very good idea Breakdown ......but would cost a lot to set up as it would need to work on both PCs, Android phones and I Phones.
''The future isn't what it used to be''
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 19:21
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Always enjoyed Rugby Special on Sundays. 
Cauliflower ear.
WILD BOAR 1 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 10:13
Any update on the Premiership 2 application packs!!?
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 10:39
Remember the Flying Pickets?.................................no not the band but some ordinary folk trying to get their voice heard when all dialogue was suppressed(ring any bells), I bet a few placards outside Twickers at the first home 6 Nations would generate a bit of interest.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 15:54
This popped up in my news feed, Championship Clubs Statement January 2024 :Cornish Pirates (cornish-pirates.com)

We emphasised in our last statement our principled objections to a franchise or selection-based Tier 2. Rather than seek to discuss these objections and others, the RFU has chosen to threaten us with effective relegation to the National Leagues for non-compliance, while ignoring the unresolved questions on governance, commercial strategy, promotion/relegation, player welfare and the player development pathway. We have offered alternative proposals on the way forward to the Board without response.

“The current RFU plan to present any recommendation to Council is extremely premature, until such fundamental issues are addressed and consensus reached so that the game can move forward via agreement rather than ultimatum. We would appeal to Council not to approve any plans for Tier 2 until our proposals are discussed in detail and there is full clarity on these fundamental issues.

“We have discussed this matter with Sport England because without further clarity on funding and governance, it will be impossible to ensure that Championship clubs are able to repay their Covid loans. We believe they share our concerns.

“We believe that no club can place value on a process involving expressions of interest when there is so little necessary detail.

“However, we can only act for ourselves: consequently the 11 current Championship clubs request that the Board sets an urgent date to hear in full our amended proposals – proposals which share all of the RFU’s objectives, albeit reached via different routes which we consider achievable, pragmatic and full of vision for the future growth of the game. 

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 15:55
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
  Share Topic