National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Understanding the Rules of Engagement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 15:41
I always scratch my head how Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire are individual counties, but Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire (Huntingdonshire part of Cambridgeshire) are East Midlands. The East Midlands has always felt a stronghold of rugby but a  single vote. Same as Norfolk, Suffolk and the rest of Cambridgeshire, Eastern Counties single vote. 

Democracy in action…
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 15:48
As a Bucks rugby resident, I share that confusion.

Never made sense to me.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 16:03
Originally posted by JohnLowe JohnLowe wrote:

I can remember attending a RFU AGM many years ago and I sat next to a Services representative who showed me a wad of slips enabling him to vote on behalf of all the Army bases each of whom had one.

Similarly Cambridge University colleges - probably Oxford as well
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 16:05
Maybe a starting point - strip Army, Navy & Air Force, Cambridge & Oxford Universities to one vote each
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 16:07
Or form 2 000 new clubs 
JohnLowe View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 16:09
Eddie

I served on what was then the First Division Rugby at the time the Championship was set up and minimum standards were discussed. The only time that there was any suggestion that our funding should be conditional was in relation to health, safety and well being. Thus we had to have specified medical facilities, ambulance in attendance, etc.

Around this time Francis Baron was CEO and although he always “drove a hard bargain” he was, in my opinion, always fair and listened to your arguments. It’s interesting to read his observations when he occasionally writes in the Rugby Paper. It might be worth you passing a few of your thoughts past him.

John
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 17:12
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Camquin,

Thanks indeed. I will get some more toner for my printer and get that into hard copy.

If we know the ground we are fighting on we have a start.

Thank you to everyone for their contributions. As a first start I am going to put out a poll question on the Clubhouse Chat section. Over the years I have done many of these but often the participation is disappointing. I would ask everyone to encourage members in their clubs to sign up to Rolling Maul and participate.....the greater the participation the more weight the poll will carry with other media and hopefully the RFU

A number of forum members have suggested Poll questions and I will try and ensure we have a fair question or questions with no in built bias .

I will put the Poll Question/s up tomorrow morning
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 17:18
Originally posted by JohnLowe JohnLowe wrote:

Eddie

I served on what was then the First Division Rugby at the time the Championship was set up and minimum standards were discussed. The only time that there was any suggestion that our funding should be conditional was in relation to health, safety and well being. Thus we had to have specified medical facilities, ambulance in attendance, etc.

Around this time Francis Baron was CEO and although he always “drove a hard bargain” he was, in my opinion, always fair and listened to your arguments. It’s interesting to read his observations when he occasionally writes in the Rugby Paper. It might be worth you passing a few of your thoughts past him.

John

Thank you John. If you have Francis Baron's details could you send me a private message with his contact details. If not I will use my sources to contact him.

The greater weight we have behind this campaign the better. Tomorrow I will also be reaching out to some other senior rugby figures who have already signalled their opposition to King Billy's plan. It is important that we are all singing off the same hymn sheet and not inadvertently running interference for King Billy.
''The future isn't what it used to be''
JohnLowe View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 17:31
Sorry but I don’t have any contact details for Francis. Might be worth contacting Jon Newcombe
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 14:25
If the Championship clubs are relegated en-bloc, the obvious thing to do is either:-

A) set up a new league above N1 with 12 teams - additional team promoted from N1

Or

B) combine Championship and N1 teams and form 2 divisions of 14 with the 3 extra clubs coming from N2
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic