National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Round 9

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 23:54
Prior to Marquee and Burrow I believe, according to an online encyclopaedia it was 6,000. 

It certainly feels like a scrum when we have played Ampthill. However when the tannoy announces attendance thought it was under 5,000. 
The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 02:04
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Prior to Marquee and Burrow I believe, according to an online encyclopaedia it was 6,000. 

It certainly feels like a scrum when we have played Ampthill. However when the tannoy announces attendance thought it was under 5,000. 

It used to be 7,500 in the Premiership days with the other temporary stand where the marquee is. Shame we built the marquee in the wrong place as that takes away a lot of space.

I think it was 5,500 when we also had the smaller temporary stand for Quins and Saints near the scoreboard.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 10:22
I definitely think Bedford would benefit from having terraces or temporary stands on the opposite side of the pitch to the stand. I think they have a great catchment area and could get crowds of 6k if the facilities were better and some marketing (I am sure they do well with that already but casting the net wider maybe??). 

If you happen to be vertically challenged, like me, it is front row or bust which does detract from the experience at Goldington Road.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 10:36
I totally agree and don’t think it would take much to get a bit more terracing in. Behind the posts where the trees are for example.

Before the hospitality units and gym at the other end we used to have a large covered terraced shed.

It’s now a sell out, so don’t travel without a ticket!

Edited by The Blues - 01 Jan 2024 at 10:40
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 12:03
Their catchment area is getting smaller, Ampthill and Cambridge are nibbling away at it.
Saints draw some away to the North and Saracens to the South.

Then there are planning difficulties.
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 14:33
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Another cracking match which should be streamed live.

Agree CC - totally dreadful that this game isn't being shown, yet another reminder of the contempt from Twickenham towards any notion of promoting the 2nd tier.

You've got a (public holi)day that is completely clear of any other meaningful rugby in England; two historic names going head-to-head in a derby-type (not local derby I know) top-of-table game; sell-out crowd with little prospect of streaming affecting ticket sales; no other Champ clubs in action who might have been worried about their own crowds; and some crappy NYD weather that would leave people reluctant to venture out this late in the day and looking for something to watch. And this leaves the way clear for football's 2nd tier to promote itself with a full schedule of games, and racing on ITV...

Given the RFU's complete contempt for the Champ, meaning that it was certain months ago there'd be no stream organised from 'HQ', I also wonder whether the clubs might have taken it on themselves to arrange/promote a stream; we wouldn't be talking a vast amount of investment.

I'm sat at home, about to put the fire on and draw the curtains, watching Singing in the Rain; I'd rather be watching rugby, but that's not available (I know there are URC games on, but not really fussed about that). 

Angry

Edited by islander - 01 Jan 2024 at 17:22
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 15:45
Blues 12 Cov 28 at HT, visitors grabbed their BP in last play...
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 15:47
HT Blues (2 tries) 12-28 (BP) Coventry

Blues down to 14 for 8 mins in 2nd half.

Blues go down the slope 2nd half and hope the arm of the referee keeps working the same way.

Game is much closer than score suggests and hope Blues bring their attacking onslaught for the 2nd half.

It is raining.

Edited by The Blues - 01 Jan 2024 at 15:52
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 16:10
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Another cracking match which should be streamed live.

Agree CC - totally dreadful that this game isn't being shown, yet another reminder of the contempt from Twickenham towards any notion of promoting the 2nd tier.

You've got a (public holi)day that is completely clear of any other meaningful rugby in England; two historic names going head-to-head in a derby-type (not local derby I know) game; sell-out crowd with little prospect of streaming affecting ticket sales; no other Champ clubs in action who might have been worried about their own crowds; and some crappy NYD weather that would leave people reluctant to venture out this late in the day and looking for something to watch. And this leaves the way clear for football's 2nd tier to promote itself with a full schedule of games, and racing on ITV...

Given the RFU's complete contempt for the Champ, meaning that it was certain months ago there'd be no stream organised from 'HQ', I also wonder whether the clubs might have taken it on themselves to arrange/promote a stream; we wouldn't be talking a vast amount of investment.

I'm sat at home, about to put the fire on and draw the curtains, watching Singing in the Rain; I'd rather be watching rugby, but that's not available (I know there are URC games on, but not really fussed about that). 

Angry
Championship Rugby LIVE: Bedford Blues v Coventry - score & commentary - Live - BBC Sport
I've found radio commentary better than watching URC
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 16:14
Bedford's maul game working well, and Cov now short of a hooker and a lock (YCs).
Doesn't look promising. Cov's usual second-half malaise coming up?
Our City,
Our Club
MarkyMark View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkyMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 16:23
Bedford were penalised out of it first half, second half the games disjointed, struggle from here. Never seen so many penalties awarded, not helping any flow, but making sure he’s ticked all the assessors boxes

Edited by MarkyMark - 01 Jan 2024 at 16:29
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 16:23
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Bedford's maul game working well, and Cov now short of a hooker and a lock (YCs).
Doesn't look promising. Cov's usual second-half malaise coming up?

Not so far: 19-31 just after the hour. Crowd announced on TwitteX by hosts at 5,000
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 16:28
And back up to 15. Shouldn't be any excuses now... but I never count chickens.
Our City,
Our Club
MarkyMark View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkyMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 16:30
Will only be 3 mins of play left with this many stoppages 
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 16:42

Angry
[/QUOTE]Championship Rugby LIVE: Bedford Blues v Coventry - score & commentary - Live - BBC Sport
[/QUOTE]

Rain is so bad in Bridgend (Ospreys v Cardiff) that the TV coverage went down.
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 17:04
Another 5000 crowd for a Championship match. The 19-34 score line suggests a good game. And with Ampthill beating Coventry, Bedford then beating Ampthill, and now Coventry beating Bedford, match predictability in this league is also intriguing. Take note, Mr Sweeney, the Championship is alive and kicking.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 17:05
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Angry
Championship Rugby LIVE: Bedford Blues v Coventry - score & commentary - Live - BBC Sport
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] The BBC commentary was excellent and it sounded like a brilliantly competitive match in wet conditions - I would happily have paid to watch a live stream of that one.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Bigbluepip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbluepip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 17:34
Well done Cov, deserved winners, took your chances and defended well, we couldn’t break it down, and when we did you recovered quickly. Lots of pressure in the 2nd half, but we couldn’t convert it to points, crazy decision to tap and go when we had a pen with the last move of the game, could have cost us a try bonus point.
Only highlight for me was our forwards were in control in the set plays for the most part, line-out went wrong towards the end. 
We need to be able to change our game plan when it’s not working for us and I don’t think our kicking game was brilliant today. 
I want you all to line up in a circle and pair up in three's alphabetically by height.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 17:35

Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Angry

[/QUOTE] The BBC commentary was excellent and it sounded like a brilliantly competitive match in wet conditions - I would happily have paid to watch a live stream of that one.[/QUOTE]
Cov radio commentary is usually very good.
Shame we can't say as much about the club's  match Twitfeed.
Can't have it all, I guess.
Our City,
Our Club
RobC View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 18:22
I switched over to the Bedford Twitter feed in the end - far more updates...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic