National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Stadium Sound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stadium Sound
    Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 18:51
I attended a really good Nat 2 derby in Bristol yesterday with Dings and Old Reds serving up quality rugby with both sides showing that unlike the England team they can " connect". First time at Dings newish ground and very impressed with the set up and the welcome.

Just one negative vibe - with each score the lull was shattered with heavy rock music just like Twickenham or Ashton Gate. No chance for the fans to discuss the build up to each try or penalty as you couldn't heat yourself think. I'm a neutral so I like to chat with knowledgeable fans from the teams involved. Ditch the music at this level - it will stay at HQ because it's part of the atmosphere which is rubbish.
Ancient Oak View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ancient Oak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 11:07
I echo your sentiments Malcr. Sadly its now a feature of our home games at Sevenoaks though if you watch from the opposite side to the clubhouse and balcony you can manage to hear yourself speak. I'm told its what the players want and if they produce displays like yesterday to edge our local derby v TJs in front of a gate of 845 I am prepared to tolerate it despite my advanced years. Sign of the times!
"Heaven prosper our sport"
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 13:40
we tend to have our enthusiastic man on the mike rather than music at Bury...(not too enthusiastic Sat!)
Well done Oaks on your win...845 sounds a very impressive crowd...mind you, there was a claim of 330 vs Bury and I would have estimated that at half that figure Wink
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 13:42
Ridiculously loud music doesn't only stop you having a chat it also stops you cheering for your team after they have scored a try or trying to lift them if they have just conceded.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 14:30
seemingly a directive came out of Twickers telling clubs to play loud music when there are gaps in play, certainly at premiership level, not too sure how far down the pyramid, this is supposed to affect though.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 15:12
We'll, there are clubs in National 1 with no PA whose fans won't be troubled by any such directive.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 16:24
Originally posted by Malcr Malcr wrote:

I attended a really good Nat 2 derby in Bristol yesterday with Dings and Old Reds serving up quality rugby with both sides showing that unlike the England team they can " connect". First time at Dings newish ground and very impressed with the set up and the welcome.

Just one negative vibe - with each score the lull was shattered with heavy rock music just like Twickenham or Ashton Gate. No chance for the fans to discuss the build up to each try or penalty as you couldn't heat yourself think. I'm a neutral so I like to chat with knowledgeable fans from the teams involved. Ditch the music at this level - it will stay at HQ because it's part of the atmosphere which is rubbish.

RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 08:58
My team (Taunton) plays loud music after a score - I wish they didn't, even though I quite like AC/DC!

Edited by RedPete - 20 Feb 2024 at 08:58
Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 09:13
When Esher win we play Hersham Boys - nice bit of punk!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 10:39
Its a total 'Sham.

Anyway, isn't their name a reference to the soccer club.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 12:10
The Today programme on Radio 4 was talking to someone from Netball about the super league.

She said they want to move into arenas and the "enhanced offer" helped sell those extra seats. She mentioned the NBA LED floor as an example, though presumably not one they could afford. It is as bad as you think, the court is essentially a giant TV screen.

She actually said brings in the fans, but as far as I am concerned those are not fans - the fans are the Redruth away support.  But of course, they have already captured those. They are fishing in the pool of the uncommitted, desperately trying to get them to attend.

And, that is the case for every sport, including our own.
So expect more "fan zones" and "experiences" and cheesy music.

Edited by Camquin - 20 Feb 2024 at 12:13
Sweeney Delenda Est
Ancient Oak View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ancient Oak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 12:24
Originally posted by Golden Jackal Golden Jackal wrote:

we tend to have our enthusiastic man on the mike rather than music at Bury...(not too enthusiastic Sat!)
Well done Oaks on your win...845 sounds a very impressive crowd...mind you, there was a claim of 330 vs Bury and I would have estimated that at half that figure Wink

Re the crowd The Battle of the A21 for the Gordon Mann trophy has a very long history but has been in abeyance for a number of years until we caught up with TJs in Nat 2 last season. We're only about 15 minutes drive away from each other so its a big attraction for both clubs. With 189 to lunch and a big gate The Paddock was really rocking literally and figuratively so I dont think 845 is far off the mark. Look forward to doing a headcount with you over a pint next season.ConfusedWink
"Heaven prosper our sport"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic