National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Promotion to the prem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote titans.chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 18:44
Does anyone know the criteria needed to bet met? 

Capacity etc?

Great to see Donny have been accepted - a really good club and ground. It would be brilliant to see another Yorkshire team give it a go up there. If they did gain promotion, I just hope they don't kill themselves financially doing it. 

It is great for the sport in Yorkshire which seems to be back on the up. Slowly but surely.

Edited by titans.chris - 23 Mar 2024 at 18:45
RobC View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 12:05
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by Rob C Rob C wrote:

Originally posted by Whistle watcher Whistle watcher wrote:

Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Question for Coventry:
Is the club positive that when they are ready to make the push, will they pass the audit? Surely if they don’t know the answer, would it not make sense to do the audit, and if anything is found lacking work on those areas so they are ready when their time arises…which I personally feel is something the club is capable of doing

I'm not sure we're ready for that yet.  Obviously we always aspire to win the league, as we all do, but I'm not sure (as Kimbo says) that we expect to win it this year.  John Sharp is a smart cookie and has a good team behind him.  

We lost a lot of core players at the end of last season and to have rebuilt in the way we have and to be where we are now is a tribute to the hard work and some shrewd squad building that has been put in by the coaching staff and the players.

We have something special going on at Butts Park - hopefully the Premiership, in its current form, isn't even on the radar... 2nd place would be the ideal target.

Careful with the "something special" line. It's reminiscent of the endless press releases issued by The Cheats as they hoovered up more and more players through cheating the salary cap!

I'm guessing by 'The Cheats' you mean Saracens?  They're not everyone's cup of tea, I know - I happen to like watching them and they certainly had 'something special' going on yesterday... as did Cov Smile
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 12:17
'The cheats' could be levelled at several Prem sides over the years.
Just different styles and degrees of.
Our City,
Our Club
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 13:28
The vilification of Saracens is so over the top. They messed up, they took their punishment and it's time to move on. They were brilliant against Quins.
*Stalwart
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 13:34
Did the over spending by Saracens encourage other clubs to over spend, did they contribute to the demise of any of the clubs thereafter? Speculation I know, but some have posted thus in the past.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 13:50
Originally posted by *Stalwart *Stalwart wrote:

The vilification of Saracens is so over the top. They messed up, they took their punishment and it's time to move on. They were brilliant against Quins.

Each to their own but they cheated for seven years and those who orchestrated the cheating are still in place so until they move on I don't see why anybody else should.

And of course they were brilliant against Quins. They are a side built on years of cheating!
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 16:03

Yes, but the RFU bent over backwards to help them by shortening the Championship season to get them back as quickly as possible 
RobC View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 16:51

Clap
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 18:55
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Did the over spending by Saracens encourage other clubs to over spend, did they contribute to the demise of any of the clubs thereafter? Speculation I know, but some have posted thus in the past.

I don't think Worcester, wasps, Irish or Jersey went bust through overspending.

Their businesses simply failed.
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 19:49
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

They spent money they didn't have.
*Stalwart
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 08:11

Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

I may be wrong but Sarries "over spending" was a slightly different model used by their boss.  Wasn't it the business partnership with players that they didn't declare as part of the salary cap?  Plus financially they are still solvent.

I suppose it's how you look at it, rugby at the top is a sport, but now professional, however the salary cap in the business world could be seen as a restriction of trade.

They spent money they didn't have.
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 15:42
The deadline approaches this week to agree to Prem 2 criteria and signify your club is prepared to be part of the New RFU set up. Will all the Championship Clubs refuse? Or will some quietly agree in principle? Will the RFU restructure the league with aspirational clubs from Nat 1 and accept Wasps, Worcester and Irish back in as Franchise clubs? 
The next few weeks are going to be interesting for the future of level 2 Rugby. 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 13:09
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

The deadline approaches this week to agree to Prem 2 criteria and signify your club is prepared to be part of the New RFU set up. Will all the Championship Clubs refuse? Or will some quietly agree in principle? Will the RFU restructure the league with aspirational clubs from Nat 1 and accept Wasps, Worcester and Irish back in as Franchise clubs? 
The next few weeks are going to be interesting for the future of level 2 Rugby. 

Probably- in both cases
RAID ON
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 13:50
“both cases?” - w-b asks 3 questions & makes a further observation. I agree it will be interesting. I’d be surprised if we hear anything before the w/e as any proposals would need to be ratified. Having said that, a leak in Sunday’s ‘Rugby Paper’ might be how many of us find out…
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 16:18
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

“both cases?” - w-b asks 3 questions & makes a further observation. I agree it will be interesting. I’d be surprised if we hear anything before the w/e as any proposals would need to be ratified. Having said that, a leak in Sunday’s ‘Rugby Paper’ might be how many of us find out…

I took the Championship clubs question(s) as 1 as it will either be one or the other.

To clarify my answer I suspect 1 or 2 of the Championship sides will break ranks secretly and the RFU will parachute in at least 2 of the failed ex-Premiership sides and invite a few N1 sides in to make up the numbers.
RAID ON
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 21:35
Will some of the current Championship clubs be relegated because they do not have the necessary criteria. 
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 22:14

Will some of the current Championship clubs be relegated because they do not have the necessary criteria. 

That would give credence to the thought that Premiership and Premiership 2 are no longer part of the core rugby family that we have all grown up with Cry
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 22:48
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

That would give credence to the thought that Premiership and Premiership 2 are no longer part of the core rugby family that we have all grown up with Cry

If it comes true. They are no longer rugby clubs, but soulless franchises.
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 02:54
Come on now and sing this song
We make it up as we go along

We’re the the men in suits and we do what we like
So if you don’t like it you can take a hike

It’s not good enough to win every game
You’ve got to have an established name

Cos if the club name sounds too common
We’ll be placing you right at the bottom 

So no use trying to win the crown
Cos if your names no good you’re going down.

Try as hard as you like to get out the trap
Cos from where I’m standing it’s C rap.

Come on now let’s sing this song 
Cos we make it up as we go along.

Edited by Rothman2 - 28 Mar 2024 at 03:04
As one door closes…….another one slams in your face.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 07:35
...ahh, but will there be a premiership at all soon? Covid loans coming due, and government losing patience.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic