National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Promotion to the prem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 09:12
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

We used to say the Premiership was a cartel and they were ringfencing.

Now it looks like Ealing are joining the club and adding a 2nd layer to help protect the Premiership by spending a fortune to be the first line of defence!

I am also surprised Coventry didn't apply, given what appeared to be a squad to challenge the top.

I can not understand your thought process that Ealing Trailfinders are some how in league with the Premiership to keep others out . When a club is non compliant they are simply discounted and any team below skips over them .
Surely you know this .
Skips over them?
Only the top-finishing side has the opportunity to contest the one available Prem place, so surely this means the Ealing are blocking the other sides below them.
Or do I misunderstand your statement?

Is it not the top finishing compliant side. I believe it is now 5,000 seats and working towards ( a clear plan ) 10,000. Then you get the chance to play home and away against the bottom team of the Premiership. Where I believe the team from the Championship will be on the wrong side of the appointed ref. I say this because I have seen it several times.
The two that stick out are when Ealing played Bristol at Ashton Gate and should have been awarded a penalty in front of the post to win the game but the the ref just kept resetting until finally Bristol cleared their lines .
The second one is Ealing at home to London Irish where a Irish centre clearly knocks on but the other centre catches the ball and scores under the posts.....to win the game. The Irish example is on YouTube. The Bristol travesty use to be and may well be there still. Sour grapes maybe . LOL
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 09:54

Now it looks like Ealing are joining the club and adding a 2nd layer to help protect the Premiership by spending a fortune to be the first line of defence!

I am also surprised Coventry didn't apply, given what appeared to be a squad to challenge the top.

I can not understand your thought process that Ealing Trailfinders are some how in league with the Premiership to keep others out . When a club is non compliant they are simply discounted and any team below skips over them .
Surely you know this .
Skips over them?
Only the top-finishing side has the opportunity to contest the one available Prem place, so surely this means the Ealing are blocking the other sides below them.

Is it not the top finishing compliant side. I believe it is now 5,000 seats and working towards ( a clear plan ) 10,000. Then you get the chance to play home and away against the bottom team of the Premiership. Where I believe the team from the Championship will be on the wrong side of the appointed ref. I say this because I have seen it several times.
The two that stick out are when Ealing played Bristol at Ashton Gate and should have been awarded a penalty in front of the post to win the game but the the ref just kept resetting until finally Bristol cleared their lines .
The second one is Ealing at home to London Irish where a Irish centre clearly knocks on but the other centre catches the ball and scores under the posts.....to win the game. The Irish example is on YouTube. The Bristol travesty use to be and may well be there still. Sour grapes maybe . LOL

I also am reminded of the Ealing playoff match against Leeds where a five meter scrum was rumbling towards the line and the ref ordered Ealing to use it. Never seen that before or since, and it was material to the final score on the home and away aggregate.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 10:27

Surely you know this .
Skips over them?

Is it not the top finishing compliant side. I believe it is now 5,000 seats and working towards ( a clear plan ) 10,000. Then you get the chance to play home and away against the bottom team of the Premiership.
So yes. What I said then, semantics aside.
Our City,
Our Club
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 13:04

Is it not the top finishing compliant side. I believe it is now 5,000 seats and working towards ( a clear plan ) 10,000. Then you get the chance to play home and away against the bottom team of the Premiership.

My understanding of the Wasps Phoenix was they would be given 3 years to come up with a compliant stadium. That is the reasonable approach that should be offered to all Premiership promoted teams together with a 2 years relegation moratorium. 

I remember some Premiership clubs being non-compliant when the leagues turned Professional. Why dig into a mountain of debt only to slip back into the Championship.

Or is that being too reasonable?

I also believe we should follow the French example and carry on during the 6 Nations and increase the Premiership to 14 teams or will that put pressure on the salary cap and RFU funding? 

As to non-EQP players and those playing abroad.......

Edited by FHLH - 30 Mar 2024 at 13:15
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 16:00
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

My understanding of the Wasps Phoenix was they would be given 3 years to come up with a compliant stadium. That is the reasonable approach that should be offered to all Premiership promoted teams together with a 2 years relegation moratorium. 

I remember some Premiership clubs being non-compliant when the leagues turned Professional. Why dig into a mountain of debt only to slip back into the Championship.

I also believe we should follow the French example and carry on during the 6 Nations and increase the Premiership to 14 teams or will that put pressure on the salary cap and RFU funding? 

Not sure Bath is compliant even now
RAID ON
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 18:57
Where has the idea of the top compliant side being eligible for the playoff come from? Almost certain that is nonsense. If true, it means Doncaster will have a promotion playoff regardless of where they finish.

I think Ealing fans thinking the referees have conspired against them in the playoff games is a good example of confirmation bias in practice…
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 19:03
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Where has the idea of the top compliant side being eligible for the playoff come from? Almost certain that is nonsense. If true, it means Doncaster will have a promotion playoff regardless of where they finish.

I think Ealing fans thinking the referees have conspired against them in the playoff games is a good example of confirmation bias in practice…
Quite (I'd overlooked his ref to 'top compliant' and in my mind read it as 'compliant, top', which is the actual requirement as tou say, so, as you were).
Our City,
Our Club
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 19:07
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Not sure Bath is compliant even now
They aren't
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 19:47
(Avoiding overlong quotes).
What does the Rec fail on then? I have no idea.
It's not capacity as it holds 4,500 in excess of the current requirement.
Our City,
Our Club
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 09:03

Not sure but possibly the use of the uncovered temporary stand.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 09:20
Originally posted by Redted Redted wrote:

Not sure but possibly the use of the uncovered temporary stand.
Cover is irrelevant. Other clubs have used temporary stands too, surely?
Our City,
Our Club
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 10:22
One of the requirements in the Championship is that the perimeter fencing needs to be 5 metres from the edge of the pitch including dead ball areas  which is clearly not the case with Bath. 
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 11:42
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

One of the requirements in the Championship is that the perimeter fencing needs to be 5 metres from the edge of the pitch including dead ball areas  which is clearly not the case with Bath. 

Good job there is no relegation then!
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 12:00
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

Good job there is no relegation then!
Oh well, Cov are relegated then...
Our City,
Our Club
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 12:41

I believe it is the 'temporary' stand that has been there for years - it should have been replaced with a permanent stand a long time ago, however I believe there are planning problems
RAID ON
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 15:45
How about a 22 dead ball area. Yesterday's England Wales Women's 6 Nations was a joke. Ashton Gate - about 10m
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 16:27
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

I believe it is the 'temporary' stand that has been there for years - it should have been replaced with a permanent stand a long time ago, however I believe there are planning problems

Yes, the city don't want to lose their main cricket ground!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 16:31
I’m pretty sure the Premiership clubs that did not meet the criteria just had to pay annual fines.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 02:06

I’m pretty sure the Premiership clubs that did not meet the criteria just had to pay annual fines.

Sounds like a plan 
JAB87 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAB87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 06:58
If a Championship club is promoted to the Premiership (at some point in the future), would they lose some of their income from TV etc. to CVC, despite not receiving any of the original “investment” ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic