National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Relegation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relegation
    Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 14:22
Am I correct in thinking only 2 teams to be relegated this season (as a result of the demise of Jersey).

Or is this still awaiting the resolution of the mess that is the Championship?
RAID ON
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 14:46
I think it's ludicrous,here we are less than a month to go and we still don't know for definite what is going on., 😕
Cauliflower ear.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 15:06
You are talking as though someone in the RFU actually cares about the National leagues.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 15:19
Not sure why you guys are getting your knickers in a twist??? 
RFU announced before Christmas that there would be NO relegation from the Championship so
1 up from Nat1 to make 12 in the Champ
Therefore
Only 2 Down from Nat1, 3 promoted from Nat 2 to give 14 in Nat1
And
Only 5 relegated from the 3 NAT2 leagues (best placed 13th survives - currently a bun fight between Wimbledon, Hull Ionians, Newport (Salop) and Dudley K only 1 of whom will remain at Level 4
And so on thereafter down the leagues (1 survivor at every level - all due to the demise of Jersey) 

Edited by Thatbloke - 03 Apr 2024 at 15:20
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 16:12
This was communicated via NLR in December. Don’t your Clubs pass that info on to members?

Edited by Halliford - 03 Apr 2024 at 16:13
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 16:35
That is the plan of record.
However, I understand that the negotiations about the Championship are ongoing.
It looks like the worst of the RFU's ideas have been avoided, but nothing is settled.
And at least some of the Championship clubs wanted a 14 team league from next season.
Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 18:00
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

That is the plan of record.
However, I understand that the negotiations about the Championship are ongoing.
It looks like the worst of the RFU's ideas have been avoided, but nothing is settled.
And at least some of the Championship clubs wanted a 14 team league from next season.

14 makes sense if only for value for money for members and sponsors - and treasurers
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 18:24
Yet the RFU have been making it clear at all times that the changes to Tier 2 are for 25/26.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 18:47
Exactly! 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 18:55
The notion of a 14-team Championship for 24/25 is a red herring, I'm convinced. There may have been no definitive statement along those lines by the Champ, but Nat Lg teams have been told how the land lies, and I'd be astonished if this curveball was about to be unleashed...
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 19:02
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

The notion of a 14-team Championship for 24/25 is a red herring, I'm convinced. There may have been no definitive statement along those lines by the Champ, but Nat Lg teams have been told how the land lies, and I'd be astonished if this curveball was about to be unleashed...

12 teams is just foolishness. For those of us who cannot travel, that's 11 home games to watch - about every 3 weeks. You end up supporting another club if only to see some rugby.  In my case Bury St Edmunds

Having said that, for the supporter, 16 teams is best

Edited by FHLH - 03 Apr 2024 at 19:03
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 19:42
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

12 teams is just foolishness. For those of us who cannot travel, that's 11 home games to watch - about every 3 weeks. You end up supporting another club if only to see some rugby.  In my case Bury St Edmunds

16?
Far too sensible.
Our City,
Our Club
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 20:03
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

16?
Far too sensible.

.. and in a 35 week season it still leaves room for bad weather catch up and R&R
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 22:26

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

16?
Far too sensible.

.. and in a 35 week season it still leaves room for bad weather catch up and R&R
Exactly.
Still far too sensible.
Our City,
Our Club
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 07:32
So this thread has moved quickly/inevitably from 'what's happening next season?' to yet another 'optimum season size/length' discussion...
The national leagues just went from 16 down to 14 - there are probably plenty of people who'll claim this was 'imposed from on high by the RFU because they don't give a damn about the national leagues', but that's not accurate, is it? I recall it being more of a reflection of feedback from coaches/DoRs/players that the impact of 30 games (before pre-season fixtures + any representative games were counted) on p/t & amateur players was too great... 
As this is in N1 I will leave the 'optimum size of Championship' discussion for now - that's been done to death as well, and I'm certain the actual figure won't be changing between now and September...

Edited by islander - 04 Apr 2024 at 07:34
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 11:19

So this thread has moved quickly/inevitably from 'what's happening next season?' to yet another 'optimum season size/length' discussion...

Mea culpa Big smile
RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 08:32
Sadly, my team are almost certain to be relegated along with one other. Home losses to Sale, Leicester Lions and Bishops Stortford being the final nail in the coffin. The only other question is who else, in my opinion, probably Cinderford.

Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 10:56
Any changes to Championship numbers (except the increase to 12 next season) will be for the newly-named league in 25-26. Open discussions still going on about the number, but 14 makes most sense. A lot depends on how open PRL are to a Cup competition. If it is a 12-team league, no Cup would mean a dearth of home fixtures. 

Based on the accounting numbers published by the Telegraph last week (which I haven't seen discussed on RM), the Prem clubs need every penny they've got. Hard to draw proper conclusions without seeing the balance sheets, but those clubs' P&Ls all look like potential candidates for the bankruptcy courts.
Broken down. Beyond repair.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 18:38
Just noticing, and I hate to be a prophet of doom for Chinnor, but the bottom two clubs in the Championship table are the the two most recently promoted sides.  It really is a big step up and needs to be taken seriously with financial backing.

All the same, best of luck to them.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 21:53

Currently in Bedford local media, including BBC 3CR are fawning over Real Bedford a ninth tier (promoted to 8th tier) Wendyball club. Having recently received £3.6m funding from two US cyber businessmen after a cyber currency chap took over a club, called it Real, and said his billion dollars of bitcoins will send Real to Football/Premier league.

Real can offer football once or twice a week. Get attention of BBC Local non league football show.

Bedford Rugby can have 3 or 4 week gaps between fixtures, little or no coverage on BBC3CR (Ampthill same boat). The RFU can say they want to grow the game, have professional (or ambitious amateur teams). Yet over Christmas/New Year/Easter, have little or no fixtures. 

Blues loyal fans will turn up, but I think if one of our local football clubs reaches National League (5th tier) they will struggle as families loyalties are tested. Dad wanting to go to rugby, but sons want the football.

Looking forward to new beginnings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic