National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

The Future of the Championship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Future of the Championship
    Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 16:04
I’m surprised that no one has copied yesterday’s two articles by Stephen Jones in yesterday’s Sunday Times on the future of the RFU Championship. Was everyone asleep?
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 16:10
Originally posted by JohnLowe JohnLowe wrote:

I’m surprised that no one has copied yesterday’s two articles by Stephen Jones in yesterday’s Sunday Times on the future of the RFU Championship. Was everyone asleep?
Go on then, help us out.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 16:13
Not read a news paper in over 20 years, not read the Times for nearer 50 years.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 16:30
Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 17:07
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

It is behind the paywall

Which was one of the reasons I didn't read it.
The main ones, though, were Jones, and The Times  - neither of which I could be minutely @r5ed with.
Our City,
Our Club
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 17:27
Precis, Jones thinks we should all be greatful that such august Phoenix clubs as Wasps, Irish, and Worcester should want to play in the Championship. Also, there might be some light on the horizon in terms of negotiations between RFU and Champ, but money is the sticking point. Yawn.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 17:50
A

Edited by KnightsBoy - 15 Apr 2024 at 17:52
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 18:14
Jones should have retired years ago. Nothing new to say.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 21:08
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Precis, Jones thinks we should all be greatful that such august Phoenix clubs as Wasps, Irish, and Worcester should want to play in the Championship. Also, there might be some light on the horizon in terms of negotiations between RFU and Champ, but money is the sticking point. Yawn.

Thanks for writing/posting Greg...
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 22:07
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Jones should have retired years ago. Nothing new to say.
Quite. Waste of newsprint/bandwidth.
Our City,
Our Club
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 11:36
The narking thing about Jones' stories is that they may it seem as if several Championship clubs would want the so-called Phoenix clubs in new Tier 2. I know for a fact this is untrue from someone who knows what's said at various Champ meetings. They are not totally united on every dot and comma of the new league - it would be a miracle if a group of rugby clubs were united on everything - but on most things they are pretty tight and the presence of Wasps, Worcester or London Irish in a new league is one of the things on which they are rock solid on so my contact says.

From what I can tell the talks with the RFU and the Prem have made progress although there have been ups and downs, mostly as you would ex[ect caused by the RFU. The mood is cautiously optimistic. I think there is a regular meeting of the RFU Council on Friday and maybe that will lead to some sort of public statement, but I won't hold my breath. 
Broken down. Beyond repair.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 11:51
Jones lost all credibility with me when he started acting as Nigel Wray's PR mouthpiece.

He is a ludicrous individual.
Jester10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jester10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 16:05
Jones just posts for hit's these days,   blocks anyone who disagrees with his agenda.  WTF should the clubs that went bust due to mismanagement be allowed anywhere near  top flight.

Enjoying life!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic